Understanding The Drug and Alcohol Clearninghouse Requirements
The FMCSA Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (DAC) is a secure online database that gives interested parties real-time valuable information about commercial driver’s license (CDL) and commercial learner’s permit (CLP) holders’ drug and alcohol violations. This record keeps track of all testing violations recorded by US DOT since January 2020. The Clearinghouse allows employers to identify those drivers who have committed a drug and alcohol program violation while employed and have failed to inform additional employers; required by the current regulations. All students must register at the DAC.
Steps to Complete a Clearinghouse Query
- The student obtains a CDL Permit. If you already have a permit or CDL you still need to register.
- Register for an account on the Clearinghouse Website.
- To create your account you will need to enter your current CDL or CLP information.
- Advanced Career Institue will then initiate a query request.
- Students will receive a request from the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse for their consent to perform a query.
- Students are required to accept the request.
- Advanced Career Institute will receive the results of the query.
Note: If a current or prospective student refuses to give consent to perform a query with DAC, they will not be allowed to continue training. The DAC query is an FMCSA requirement for CDL training.
Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse FAQs
- CDL drivers
- Employers – this includes motor carriers and other employers of drivers operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) that require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or commercial learner’s permit (CLP)
- Consortia/third-party administrators (C/TPAs)
- Medical review officers (MROs)
- Substance abuse professionals (SAPs)
- Enforcement personnel
All drivers holding a CDL or CLP mist register through the FMCSA’s Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse website in order for prospective employers to view their files. Effective January 6, 2020, it is mandatory for employers to use the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse to report information about driver violations during the pre-employment process. This included any positive drug or alcohol tests and test refusals.
Register your account in the Clearinghouse here: https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/register
Read more FAQs from the Clearinghouse here: https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov
Please contact our staff or give us a call at 877-649-9614 with any questions! If you are ready to start your CDL Training with ACI, fill out the form above.